Sunday, October 5, 2008

'Shah Rukh is a good friend'

preity zinta interview

For once, we saw the beautiful Preity Zinta sansmake-up, comfortably seated at her residence. The actress was in a cheerful mood and spoke about her forthcoming films, image makeover, IPL and a lot more… Excerpts from the interview:

What made you take up Rituparno Ghosh's The Last Lear?

I had a great experience working in this film. I will always be grateful to Rituda for letting me do something different. I knew from the beginning that it was a neat film. Was it difficult to attempt a film with dialogues from Shakespearean plays? 

Yes, unless you know Shakespeare, you will not get the essence right. So it was an enriching experience for me. I am glad people liked it in places like New York, Toronto, Rome and London. The response was great. 

People have always admired you as a bubbly actress. Why have you started taking up serious roles?

I pick up roles where I can work and have fun at the same time. I am the kind of person who sees a mountain and says, 'Ah it's a high mountain and I want to climb it'. Once I reach on top, I will sleep for five days. Then I'll look for another mountain and want to climb higher. 

Any particular reason for this long gap between Jhoom Barabar Jhoom and The Last Lear… Yes, I wanted a break for a year and am thankful to all my director friends who supported me in this. Then I had IPL coming my way. It was great.

What is Heaven on Earth all about?

Heaven on Earth dwells on the subject of immigration and domestic violence. Deepa's (Mehta) film is real and every scene in the film holds true. The film is an adaptation of a real life story. I happened to meet this woman called Mona Gill. She faced domestic violence for nine years and then became a cop.The film got a standing ovation at Toronto film festival. I really want people to watch this film.

After Heroes you are again playing a Punjabi character in Heaven on Earth

I think I have some karmic connection with Punjab. Both the films highlight on the day-to-day lives of women in the rural sections of Punjab.


Tell me something about Heroes?

Heroes gave something back to me. Even I hail from an army background. And the film is not about Pakistan bashing for a change. It's an out-and-out time pass film.

At this stage of your career, what kind of offers are you expecting?

I thank God for what he has given me so far. Today, I want to do something real, portray realistic characters. I know what Aamir must have felt when he made Taare Zameen Par. When I saw Taare… I cried and called him up to congratulate him. Heroes will have a similar effect on people. It is touching and entertaining at the same time.

Tell something about Har Pal?

Har Pal is a frothy film with an original plot. I got an opportunity to work with Dharamji in the film. It was a dream come true.

We heard that you were not comfortable working with Shiney Ahuja during the shoot of Har Pal…

There was nothing wrong between us. We didn't just get along well. We didn't become best of friends and that's because we didn't get the time to sit and chat. My role in Har Pal was somewhat difficult and I was little bit of a loner on the sets. I have been working with Shah Rukh, Salman, Aamir, Hrithik for years now. So, they are my friends. I don't see inviting Shiney to my house. 

Anupam Kher helped you a lot with Punjabi accent…

Yes, 'Pum Pum' as I call him, helped me a lot. I used to go to Anupam's house for tips. He's like family to me. I visited his house for three days and made a big dhamaal

How much have you changed as an actor?

I think you will notice it in my upcoming films…

Tell us something about the second season of IPL.

We are going to have a press conference sometime soon. There will be lot of revised rules for everyone. It will be bigger and better. I chopped my hair during the last IPL, because I didn't want to distract the crowd. I used to go on the field sans make-up. I was always in jeans and T-shirts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment